Minutes: YWA Retreat Follow Up 7/25/15

Minutes: YWA Retreat Follow Up 7/25/15

Yosemite Western Artists
Retreat Follow up Meeting 7/24/2015

Life-Painting
The meeting began at approx. 2:00, as scheduled, at Gertrude School House with the following members attending:
Shannon Grissom, Norma Rogers, Gina Mims, Juanita Smith, Darlene Jaeger, Sandee Scott, Mary Beth Harrison, Bill Davis, Lori Anne Cole, Vicki Thomas.
Membership lists and Profit & Loss statements were distributed to members. Request a copy of Profit & Loss Statement from Norma or Vicki.
Norma asked if Shannon Grissom would fill out the application to Yosemite Sierra Visitors Bureau and deliver in Oakhurst. Shannon agreed.
Community Outreach; Shannon Grissom
Shannon will meet with Diane Mello of Madera County Arts Council and Cara Goger at Mariposa County Arts Council (next Wednesday) to ask how we could participate in ‘Community Outreach’. A check has been mailed for YWA dues to both organizations.
The contract for the Oakhurst Community Expo event on Oct 24th/15 has been signed and sent. Helping at the event will be Shannon.
When asked about a pop-up banner for YWA’s various events, Gina Mims stated that a 31 X 83 durable banner (including case) would cost about $140.00. Vicki Thomas made a motion to purchase the banner and Darlene Jaeger seconded.
YWA Bank Accounts will be available for signatures. Norma distributed the forms to be taken to the United Security Bank.
Water Issue;
Shannon discussed the lock that we now have on Gertrude’s water faucet, thanks to Doug Boomer’s creative touch.
Doug Boomer ( I thought Norma Rogers purchased the hoses. Maybe Doug got them instead.) has purchased a total of 250 ft. of hoses (in 50’ lengths) from the Grocery Outlet, needed for filling our water tank from our neighbor’s well. The hoses will be stored inside Gertrude. When asked about usage, Doug said that we would fill our 300 gal tank for one to two months by Wayne Boring. The cost was $70 for 300 gal. Bryan’s cost is $50.00 for 300 gal.
We discussed replacement options for Gertrude School House in the event that it would no longer be available to YWA. We pay $720 a year, paid until March/2016. Sandee and Darlene volunteered to research places to consider. The upstairs room at Timberline was not ideal; Sandee suggested contacting Micheala at Oakhurst Chamber of Commerce, or Senior Center or Community Center. Jeanne MacDonald’s home studio was volunteered, as was the Oakhurst Library was mentioned during our first Retreat Meeting. **See pg. 4 for Lori Ann Cole’s added notes.
Sponsorship/Gift Certificate Committee
Norma volunteered raffle prizes from her company for future raffles.
We will need sponsors for upcoming shows, such as our Portrait Show or Plein Air show. These are event driven. As an added incentive to businesses that are generous enough to donate, we would post advertising for them on YWA Web. Lori Cole suggested we ask now during the summer for sponsors, as companies get inundated in the fall with requests.
It was suggested we contact Allard’s, Dick Blick and paint manufactures (the companies we support) and ask them to donate to YWA. Gina suggested Dex-matrick , (don’t know what that means) to sponsor at different levels. We will set up a PayPal account (which is free). Sandee said we need to find out how many members and how many followers use our website as a motivational influence factor for activity.
It was decided that we would give Larry Potter a gift certificate for all he’s done for the Portrait Group on Fridays. Shannon volunteered to purchase a $50.00 GC on-line for him.
Bill Davis is good at posting for YWA and has agreed to become our new Social Media Chairman.
VP Sandee Scott
Many members gave greeting cards to Sandee Scott, VP-Membership, to send out as “thank you” notes, sympathy cards, or acknowledging new members (as was decided at our previous retreat). Notes will be hand-written.
Two padded chairs were at Gertrude and Sandee said she’d have 14 additional. Four molded plastic chairs for $100 (for larger capacity) will be delivered free from Amazon and available for Sept. meeting.
Sandee stated that we now have 94 members in our club and that her goal had been 100.
For Plein Air Group, Besore will be repeated next Wed, July 29th. In August, artists will be going to Nelder Grove.
Bill Davis said that 15 artists (7 being from Fresno) attended the Plein Air Group and met at Beasore on July 22nd, as planned, in spite of the questionable weather.
Shannon will set up a Dropbox, as there should be more than one person with access to YWA names and email addresses. Norma would like a backup person to put into Dropbox position. (Norma would like a backup person for the Treasurer position. The Dropbox is accessible to all.) Website will eventually have a server with ‘info’ available. (We will keep the Dropbox for board only info.)
The dry rot on the front porch was mentioned. Could be dangerous and needs to be repaired.
It was reminded that models must sign a ‘Release Form” when they model at Gertrude.
Shannon and Sandee volunteered to man the table for the Art Trails Preview Exhibit
Update; Jack Lantz
Jack Lantz was not available, and therefore no report on future demos or workshops.
Update: Vicki Thomas
No update on Bylaws was necessary at this time. However, Vicki suggested since the Bylaws had not been reviewed or revised since 2009 that we form a committee to do so on a date to be determined. Volunteers were Vicki Thomas, Shannon Grissom, Sandee Scott and Mary Beth Harrison.
Vicki informed that since Larry Potter would longer contact models for Friday Portrait Group, volunteers would take a full month of Fridays and get models. This suggestion came from Juanita Smith and it seems to be working quite well. After a model has agreed, artists send the information to Vicki who sends it out to all the artists on her mailing list, along with photos, if they are available.
July—Juanita Smith; August—Phyllis McAdams; September–Terry Robinson; October–to be filled; Nov. –Vicki Thomas; Dec—to be filled.
In the fall, Jack Lantz may take the job of getting models every month. His time constraints will lesson in the next couple of weeks and he will make a decision.
Update: Norma Rogers
Norma announced that YWA had just under $3000 in our account and that our net income was down. The distortion was caused from last year’s membership dues paid early (as an incentive measure).
Communications: Gina Mims
Gina said that the YWA brochure is almost ready and thought she could get a better price for 500 brochures if she used her online printer (instead of Sierra Tel). Glossy surface is $170; uncoated is $200. She passed around a handsome sample of our new brochure. It was agreed that uncoated would be a better selection in order to write on the brochure.
It was noted that people were still going to YWA old Facebook page. Shannon said to solve this problem she will delete all members and herself and it will disappear at that time. ( Shannon said to solve this, the Facebook Administrator needs to delete all the members and then delete themselves. Shannon cannot do this as she was never accepted in the group. Lori will take care of it.)

New Business
Volunteer Recognition will be discussed at a later time and perhaps certificates could be presented at our Annual Elections/BBQ.
Vicki Thomas suggested that someone be responsible for getting kitchen and cleaning supplies for Gertrude with a clip board handy for jotting down needs. Phyllis McAdams volunteered to do this job.
Respectfully submitted by Vicki Thomas
The following minutes were taken by Lori Ann Cole. Thank you Lori.
Darlene Jaeger showed off swatches of vinyl material that could be used as table covers. The consensus was for the grey-colored, thicker material. This will be purchased through Jo-Ann’s at a discount in time for our next general meeting in September.
In a discussion of the new chairs that we will have in September, Shannon proposed that YWA members paint the old chairs and we could sell the painted chairs as a fund-raiser at the Portrait Show in November. This proposal will be brought up at the September general meeting.
YWA will be looking for a volunteer to be the organization’s Historian.
There was a brief discussion of possible Fund Raisers – an Art and Wine festival, selling t-shirts, selling items on Café Press…
**There are serious concerns about whether YWA will continue to have Gertrude School as a clubhouse now that Harry Baker, the former owner, is deceased. It was suggested that all members be on the lookout for other possible locations suitable to the organization.
There was a mention that Sierra Meadows in Ahwahnee is reinventing itself from a golf course to an Event Center. It was suggested that YWA consider holding weekend workshops & retreats as a money-raising venture.
Next was a brief discussion of Timberline Gallery’s ongoing “Gaze and Graze” art event going on in Oakhurst.
Finally, there was the possibility of working with local businesses like Western Sierra Nursery and Queen’s Inn for art related events.
We broke up the meeting at 4pm.

 

Leave a Reply